How to Use This Blog

When you post, please start iwth a complete bibliographic citation of the item you are reviewing. Summarize the item in about 250 words, and then analyze the item and synthesize how it fits in with other things you've read (here, in class, in other classes, or on your own). Finally, add one or more keyword labels to help us organize the bibliography.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Literature Circles: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs and Reading Groups, 2nd ed.

Daniels, Harvey. Literature Circles: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs and Reading Groups, 2nd ed. Portland: Stenhouse, 2002. Print.


This book was written by the creator of literature circles, Harvey Daniels. This book outlines how to start and manage literature circles in a variety of classroom settings, including elementary and high school classes. It also includes role sheets for putting them into action, and a guide for assessing students. It also clearly defines the roles of the teacher and students, and includes research to defend the use of this practice in the classrooms. The book has some information on using literature circles in the high school classroom, but it was the smallest chapter in the book, and there was no related research. Though there was little information on my particular subject, I believe there is enough to help me continue my own chapter in this research.


This source is a credible one, Daniels is the creator after all, and very usable for my research. As I am doing an action research project, the information on how to put these groups together properly will be very useful. I also believe that the assessment tools he gives will give me a starting off point to assess my research project. I will use parts of his assessment guidelines to develop my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment